Although many would believe that the largest organ in the body would be the same all over your skin can be very different from one area to the other. The skin on your face, the skin on your legs, even your hands and feet have different types of skin each coming with their own individual issues and their own unique treatments. Some of the most common skin problems are dark marks, wrinkles, dandruff, acne and eczema and it is up to each individual person to take care of their own skin but there are some times when a little extra help is needed. This is where dermatologists come in.
What Do Dermatologists Do?
Dermatologists diagnose certain skin conditions and diseases and come up with the best method to treat the disease or skin condition. Many are able to perform treatments like tattoo removal, laser hair removal, filler injections and much more. In order to become a dermatologist doctors must complete medical school as well as an internship and residency at an accredited medical program. To make sure they are always up-to-date on the latest knowledge and techniques surgeons must retake their exams every 10 years.
What Type of Dermatologist Should I See?
There are many types of dermatology and each one has their own specific way of treating diseases and conditions.
- Medical Dermatologist: A dermatologist who diagnoses patients with diseases that affect hair, skin and nails. Treatment can include medication and/or surgery to treat the disease and prevent it from returning.
- Cosmetic Dermatologist: A dermatologist who treats hair, skin and nails in a way that would improve their physical appearance.
- Surgical Dermatologist: A dermatologist that treats hair, skin and nails by performing surgical procedures
- Dermatopathologist: A doctor that focuses on diagnoses skin conditions and diseases by removing a sample of the skin and examining it through a microscope in order to determine what the condition or disease is and what the next step should be in treating it.
When Should I Visit A Dermatology clinic?
Many common skin conditions may be relived by using over-the-counter medication or simply by improving your lifestyle and diet but for those with more persistent skin conditions seeking out professional help may be the only way to go. You should see a dermatologist if:
- You have stubborn acne that just won’t go away and you dread looking in the mirror and realizing you have an outbreak and regular acne treatment products aren’t working.
- You have abnormal discoloration that won’t heal or fade. This is especially important to get checked out by a dermatologist just to make sure there is no risk of cancer especially for those with fair skin. Even if you think nothing’s wrong it wouldn’t hurt to get your dark marks checked out just for safety.
- You have a skin condition like stretch marks or cellulite that are extremely hard to get rid of. Dermatologists often say stretch marks and cellulite can’t be eliminated but their appearance can be diminished greatly.
Dealing with unsightly skin conditions and diseases can be a huge hassle to anyone so there’s no need to add more onto your plate by choosing a doctor that doesn’t have your best interest in mind. If you are looking for a well established doctor who practices dermatology in New Jersey you will want an experienced, caring professional like Dr. Jeffrey Rapaport who is board-certified by the American Board of Dermatology and the chief clinical instructor at Mount Sinai School of Medicine. So if you’re waiting for the perfect dermatologist to come to you then you will be waiting for a long time. If you want to treat your skin conditions or diseases and finally feel comfortable in the skin you’re in then seeing a dermatologist is the next step you should take.
Request a Consultation
Once you’ve watched some of our patients’ videos, we welcome you to visit us to discuss your cosmetic goals. Ready to get started right now? You can receive a free consultation by selecting one of the times our doctors have set aside exclusively for Web visitors.
Dr.Rapaport has been an acne scar expert for over 20 years. Patients come from all over the world to seek his expertise to reduce & rid of acne scars.
Non-invasive way to gently and effectively reduce fat in targeted areas of the body that results in a noticeable, natural-looking fat reduction in the treated areas.
Reduce fine lines simply and quickly with BOTOX® injections, so there’s really no need for risky, invasive surgery that could leave you scarred!